Difference between revisions of "9th June 2010 Committee meeting minutes"
| Line 22: | Line 22: | ||
*The income so far this year seems to be similar to last year. There were 10% fewer launches in May 2010 compared to May 2009, but the total flight time was similar. | *The income so far this year seems to be similar to last year. There were 10% fewer launches in May 2010 compared to May 2009, but the total flight time was similar. | ||
*Some flyable days have had to be scrubbed due to a lack of members turning up. | *Some flyable days have had to be scrubbed due to a lack of members turning up. | ||
| + | |||
| + | ====Flying Activity - report from Stephen Ottner==== | ||
| + | June 2010 | ||
| + | <br>At the end of May the total number of launches was behind by 10% of the average of the last 2 years. Slightly fewer flying days but not enough to make any significant difference (5 days less than last year, 2 less than 2 years ago). However, the total flying time is just 30 minutes less than last year (at the end of April we were actually ahead) and far more than 2 years ago. | ||
| + | The number of days lost due to insufficient members to operate is up on last year (about 6 compared to 4) and was pretty much unheard of before then (at least in my time with the club). With more members not only might these have been avoided but there have been quite a few days in which it would have been possible to achieve more launches without much difficulty. | ||
| + | |||
===Equipment Officer (James Hunneman)=== | ===Equipment Officer (James Hunneman)=== | ||
Latest revision as of 10:05, 11 June 2010
Present: Colin Baines, Steve Barber, Chris Bessent, Richard Greenaway, James Hunneman, Phil Morgan, Alan Saunders(to give guidance about website),Pete Smith, James Walters
Apologies:Nigel Burt, Richard Greenaway
Contents
- 1 Correspondence
- 2 Outstanding actions from previous Minutes
- 3 Matters Arising
- 4 Officers’ Reports
- 5 Website and other internet areas of concern
- 6 Puchacz canopy cover
- 7 Club aircraft use for expeditions
- 8 Launch point caravan
- 9 Guidelines for members
- 10 Member's guest fees
- 11 Proposal of new members
- 12 New single seat glider
- 13 Grant application
- 14 Visiting pilots and gliders
- 15 Date of next meeting: Wednesday 14th July 2010
Correspondence[edit]
None received
Outstanding actions from previous Minutes[edit]
- Chris B still to copy flight manuals and put new copies into caravan.
- Notice boards and white boards still need to be put back up in the clubhouse. James W offered to move the socket/light switch that is currently in the way of where one of the boards is to go.
- Previous meeting's minutes accepted.
Matters Arising[edit]
- The Me7 has been sold. It is being shipped to Australia. Thanks to everyone who has made this happen.
Officers’ Reports[edit]
Aircraft Officer - James Walters[edit]
- Nothing new to report.
- James W to obtain an dimensioned enngineering drawing of the Puchacz's wheel brake assembly to allow a thorough condition check to be done.
- Colin mentioned that we should check the club glider fleet's compasses for accuracy. James H to liase with Andy Brind to organise a day to check them. James W thought it best to replace all compasses with new.
Treasurer - Steve Barber[edit]
- The income so far this year seems to be similar to last year. There were 10% fewer launches in May 2010 compared to May 2009, but the total flight time was similar.
- Some flyable days have had to be scrubbed due to a lack of members turning up.
Flying Activity - report from Stephen Ottner[edit]
June 2010
At the end of May the total number of launches was behind by 10% of the average of the last 2 years. Slightly fewer flying days but not enough to make any significant difference (5 days less than last year, 2 less than 2 years ago). However, the total flying time is just 30 minutes less than last year (at the end of April we were actually ahead) and far more than 2 years ago.
The number of days lost due to insufficient members to operate is up on last year (about 6 compared to 4) and was pretty much unheard of before then (at least in my time with the club). With more members not only might these have been avoided but there have been quite a few days in which it would have been possible to achieve more launches without much difficulty.
Equipment Officer (James Hunneman)[edit]
Report previously submitted via email:
- Skybrid Winch
- Thanks to Steve Barber for fitting a replacement seat to the winch cab.
- A new roller has had to be fitted. Can all winch drivers please take care not to pull the end of the cable through the rollers:- I recommend taking the gearbox out of drive with the parachute being 50-100 metres away from the winch. The drum's momentum will often be enough to get the cable end the right distance from the winch.
- The right hand (when viewed from the cab) half shaft sheared its keyways and taper. A re-engineered shaft and new drive flange has been obtained from Skylaunch and fitted (thanks to all who helped). These have been re-engineered such that the taper is of a larger diameter, and with a shallower taper. The damaged shaft had been replaced in early 2009 - this new shaft should solve this weakpoint.
- The LHS cable was removed from this winch and fitted to the RHS of the bus winch. A new cable was installed. Thanks to all those who helped with this.
- The RHS cable needs replacing with new cable too.
- Bus Winch
- The cable shields on both sides of the winch have been replaced or fixed.
- The drum and cable were re-installed on the LHS
- The RHS cable was replaced with a used cable from the Skybrid. However, this cable is almost worn out.
- The winch was used for two weeks whilst the Skybrid winch was being repaired - generally it worked well, however:
- The cable roller boxes on both sides of the winch are quite worn. The one on the RHS has enough play in it that the cable can slip to the side and cut through the side plate. The cable joining ferrules seem to be catching on the pulleys
- Skylaunch can supply 2nd hand roller boxes with custom made brackets to outfit the winch with standard Skylaunch rollers. The price would be £1000. Roller parts only (would need a fair amount of metal fabrication) would be £600.
- Pajero
- The front dampers have been replaced.
- The front driveshafts have been rebuilt. Both outer CV joints have been replaced. The inner CV joints were in good condition, so just the rubber gaiters were replaced.
- New lower wishbone ball joints, a track rod end, and anti-roll bar bushes have also been replaced.
- Blue Land Rover
- The starting problem has not yet been cured (although the warmer weather has eased the issue) The diesel pump timing needs to be checked and adjusted, This could be causing the starting problem.
- The rear silencer box still needs replacing - parts are at the club.
- Generator
- Thanks to Colin for fixing the exhaust manifold gasket.
- Current plan is to dismantle the wooden enclosure around the generator to facilitate cleaning and maintenance. Enclosure can be reinstated later.
- Launch Equipment
- Two 1500m reels of cable obtained.
- Six more quicklinks (aka Maillon Rapides) have been bought. Ideally these should be done up with a spanner before use. A small adjustable spanner has been donated (thanks Alan S) and is tied to the winch.
- Thanks to Paul B for maintaining strops, parachutes, etc.
- Workshop / Container:
- Thanks to Andy Brind for acquiring a smart new bench for the workshop. This kickstarted the tidying of the workshop. Almost all equipment spares and tools are now in the container by the Hangar.
- The old workbench was put into the container (by the hangar) and the rest of the container tidied. The spares and tools bought over from the workshop have been sorted, labelled and stored on the shelving.
- Glider trailers:
- Replacement tyres obtained for the K8 trailer. Steve B cleaned the trailer. No structural problems. Could do with a coat of paint. Ideally, we would de-rig DHA and try it on the trailer and improve things, such as tailplane fixing method, etc.
- K13 trailer. Brake Bowden cables were found to be corroded solid and brakes locked on. No direct replacements available, but similar types were obtained and modified to fit. (Suspension and brake manufacturer no longer offer spares for this model of axle) Brakes rebuilt and hubs greased and adjusted. New brake equaliser fitted. Brakes could do with further adjustment, but trailer is serviceable. Ideally the mounts for the wing spar and the tailplane holder would be re-lined with rubber. Rubber sheet already at club, and JH has contact adhesive to stick this on. Electrics could be improved too.
- Data/Spares availability
- I have been busy updating the Club's Wiki with data regarding winches, vehicles and other equipment:- things like names, serial numbers, suppliers, work done, etc.nThis information needs to be stored somewhere and this is the best way to do it.
- I've obtained a book with lots of data about the V8 engines the winches use. With this, I have identified the engines we have, their specifications and the date they were made. The book will also allow easy identification of replacement engines in the future.
- Spares are readily available for both engines, of the shelves of UK stockists.
- I have obtained a Haynes manual for the engines we have.
- I have checked with the UK stockists for the Impco propane fuel supply systems we have on the winches. All parts are available still, there might be a slight delay for some of the lesser used parts. However, the price of a carburettor overhaul kit (£100) was so large compared to a new carb (£250 - and they keep them in stock) that its not worth bothering keeping the spares in house. Apparently all the parts tend to be very reliable anyway.
CFI - Phil Morgan[edit]
- Congratulations to Jim Clarke for becoming a Half-Cat instructor
- Congratulations to Richard Dann for becoming a Full-Cat instructor
Safety Officer - Pete Smith[edit]
Report previously submitted via email: Safety items
- Require expenditure
- Puchacz: Seat cushions are not energy absorbent foam - need to order and have covers made. £22.95 each + covers.
- Need A-frame c/w non manned brake for cable replacement before next change.
- First Aid kit audit - TBC but likely needs replacing.
- Don't require expenditure
- Windsock - to be flown during all flying - i.e. until last glider lands.
- Instructor supervision: Duty instructor has a duty of care to recover all pilots successfully - to that end must remain on the airfield until all gliders are landed and l/o crews have met with pilot.
- Immediate actions to be updated including contacts.
- Launching equipment noddy guide required.
- Non safety AOB
- Advertising board to be displayed on southern perimeter under approach?? Frequent parking spot.
- Hangar doors require re-tensioning. - (Colin confirmed this has been done)
Publicity Officer - Chris Bessent[edit]
- Advertising for the Open Day will go into local papers in time for the Open Day.
- Posters have been displayed in public spaces for open day.
Airfield Officer - Richard Greenaway[edit]
Not present at meeting, report submitted via email:
- Grass cutting: middle section being cut this week, both ends to be cut next week, prior to the Open Day.
- Strimmed around wind sock, "H" chair, club house etc.
Discussion[edit]
- The Southern rigging area was discussed. The area needs mowing, and there is a ridge that has formed towards the road side of the area (likely caused by a heavy machinery driving over this ground when wet) Colin has discussed this with Ringo.
- The glider trailer parking area between the Hangar and the clubhouse was discussed. The ground is uneven and the rubber mats don't appear to have solved the problem. There is a lot of space in the parking area south of the hangar, some trailers could be moved there. The position of the Keith Winch was mentioned, and the possibility of siting a generator enclosure (possibly a Luton van body) in the triangular section of land adjacent to the winch shelter. Subject to be returned to at next committee meeting.
Website and other internet areas of concern[edit]
Alan Saunders had kindly agreed to come to the meeting to discuss his progress with the club's website.
- Alan has re-designed the website, and now the new club logo has been finalised, just wants to optimise some colours, etc before putting (and therefore "publishing") the new design onto the club's webserver space.
- Wikis, Blogs, facebook pages, etc were discussed, in addition to having a better organised and searchable method for storing club documents (to replace the "files" section of the Yahoo groups)
- It was decided that the Wiki (currently in "beta" testing by Alan and James H) was a good way to store data and documentation. Access to wiki will be derestricted. The current setting of being a committee member to be allowed to make changes will stay in place for the moment whilst people get used to using it.
- The possibility of having a facebook page or a twitter account were dismissed for now as being a bit too involved and would require constant work.
- A blog regularly updated with club news and reports about the day's flying, etc (members commented on benefits of the blog Pete S set up) was deemed to be a good thing :-of interest to existing members, and would prove to casual web surfers that the club was active. Given time, Alan will integrate a blog function (CMS) into the front page of the club's website.
- Alan will update the existing website with the dates of course week, open week, etc.
Puchacz canopy cover[edit]
- Steve B has created a temporary canopy cover
- The club will purchase a new canopy cover from Vertigo or Emfo
Club aircraft use for expeditions[edit]
- When a club aircraft is to be taken away for an expedition, it was decided that one person should be nominated to be responsible for returning the aircraft to the club in an acceptable condition, and arranging for it to be rigged. This person doesn't have to do all the work, just be responsible for it, and delegate tasks where necessary.
- The person's name is to be entered into the DI book.
Launch point caravan[edit]
- It was discussed whether a caravan was the best form for the launchpoint control point.
- It was decided that whilst a caravan was far from idea, it was the best compromise with regards to function, conversion effort and cost.
- Steve B/James H to draw up a list of tasks that need doing to the replacement caravan. Subsequently, delegation of tasks to be organised.
Guidelines for members[edit]
Discussion regarding guidelines and pointers for members for efficient and safe set-up of the airfield.
- New member's pack used to be very useful. We seem to have got out of the habit of giving this to new members. Needs to be re-instated.
- Training packs for retrieve driving, glider ground handling, Glider DI'ing, etc are to be written.
Member's guest fees[edit]
Decided no need to change things as they currently stand. To be reviewed at the next annual review of prices.
Proposal of new members[edit]
Chris Clarke, James Rutherford, Matt Almond and Richard Barber. All proposed as new members of the club and seconded.
New single seat glider[edit]
- Phil M, Colin B, Andy Brind and James H had been to Lee-On-Solent to look at a T65C Slingsby Sport Vega glider.
- They were impressed with the suitability of the glider as a club aircraft: Large cockpit, excellent visibility, good seating position, very light and easy to rig (automatic control connections), very comprehensive panel (B50 vario, Radio, AH, Volkslogger), good trailer and rigging aids, etc.
- After discussions with the owner, it was agreed that SSS would take the glider away and arrange for its ARC to be renewed. The glider can then be flown to check its suitability for club use. If it proves to be unsuitable, the glider can be returned and the owner will pay SSS a proportion of the money spent on the ARC renewal, etc.
Grant application[edit]
- The rules of the grant that SSS had been in the process of applying for stipulate that the item for which the grant is being applied for can't be purchased until the grant has been received. Hence if the Vega is purchased, the grant cannot be for this.
- It was decided that it was important to give members access to a suitable single seater now, rather than in six months time. There are a number of volunteers to rewrite the grant application. An application for a grant to recover and refinish a K13 is the most likely.
Visiting pilots and gliders[edit]
- SSS will require that visiting pilots bring with them a copy of their medical form. A tickbox will be provided on club paperwork to confirm that the pilot has a valid medical form.
- Similarly, SSS will require visiting pilots (bringing their gliders to Rivar Hill) to have a copy of their insurance certificate.