13th October 2011

From SSS Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Shalbourne Soaring Society Committee Meeting 13th October 2011 Minutes

Present: Colin Baines, Steve Barber, Phil Morgan, Nigel Burt, Jim Clark

Apologies: Steve Ottner, Pete Smith

Correspondence:

Phil has received a letter from the BGA concerning pilot licensing. This will affect gliding in 2015.

In view of the recent microlight landing it was asked if any correspondence has been received from their CFI. Phil has received e-mail apology. In the light of this it was agreed that the website needs to be updated to reflect that no powered aircraft should use the field. In addition we could have a briefing card available to hand out in the rare event that this should happen again. (Action:CB)

Minutes of Previous Meeting

These were approved.

Matters Arising:

The launch equipment guide and the training packs are “work in progress” (Action:PS)

The guidelines for new members are now available on the website. It was agreed that a copy of these together with a log book and “pre solo” card should be used to make up a new members pack Steve Barber will check whether the BGA still produce the card, if not he will draft one up and pass to Phil for approval. (Action:SB/NB)

Winch driver training remains an outstanding issue.

The attendance at Newbury Carnival proved a great success as was the Open Day helped by the prevailing conditions. Thanks were expressed to all of those who contributed to these events.

The Course and Task weeks were also very successful and again thanks to those who organised these.


Officers Reports:[edit]

Treasurer – Steve Barber

Steve reported that the accounts are now with the accountants to finalise. It has been a good year financially and would appear to show a surplus of around £7000.

This is due to reductions in expenditure across the board, especially insurance premiums and launch equipment where we did not need to buy any more cable. There were increases in membership fee income, although this may in part be due to late payments from the previous year, and voucher sales. The latter more than compensated for the reduction in Trial Lesson sales. However, on the downside, flying income is down. Steve highlighted that we have had a run of marginal years and are really on back to where we were a few years ago. However, it is not proposed to increase any fees for the time being.

CFI – Phil Morgan

Phil advised that following Graham Tanner going solo he is, in response to a request from Graham, putting together a guide for post solo work and progression.

An instructors meeting will be held in the next few weeks.

Phil is intending to look again at the idea of a flying “order” book. This will be a guideline for flying at Shalbourne. Annual checks are now due and in addition anyone with a P1 Mutual Rating will need to have a check with a Full Cat instructor. In addition Phil proposed that the annual currency requirement will be 10 hours flown as P1 either solo or dual.

The tow out gear for the Puchacz should be ready in the next month or so.

Publicity – Colin Baines

Steve Ottner has been very successful at selling vouchers and this has provided important income. Additionally Newbury Carnival and the Open Day have both generated interest. Colin Suggested we try some more targeted marketing next year involving adult interest groups, sports centres, etc.

Equipment – Colin Baines

All of the equipment is currently in a generally good state of repair with the vehicles and both winches serviceable and prepared for winter. A recent check on the compression on the Skybrid engine has revealed a 12% drop since 2007, although it is still well above the guideline minimum the club should be making provision for a replacement engine. The right side cylinder head has eroded and will a need replacement of the exhaust manifold gasket on a regular basis.

The main generator has now been re-housed and should be on-line by November.

As regards the surplus vehicles it was suggested that Ken Hansell be approached to see if he could try to sell these. Jim Clark was aware that others had disposed of Land Rovers through the Land Rover Club. He will arrange to provide Colin with a contact number.

Consideration needs to be given as the need for the catering bus as this is not serviced and there is a risk that at some point it could fail while out on the field. Catering could be moved into the club house. The members will need to be consulted on this.

A number of urgent jobs have been outstanding for a long time, with no volunteers to take them on. The Vega trailer is at present unroadworthy . It was decided to offer these to James Hunneman who has already repaired the Puchacz trailer and employ him on a project by project basis. In addition he is to be asked to provide a design and procurement plan for moving the bus winch onto a trailer and also make covers for the K13 trailers which need to be moved out of the hangar.

The replacement caravan project is well advanced with thanks to John Turk for all his efforts. Trevor Greenwood has been painting of the caravan.

Aircraft

JMX remains offline but the inspection has not revealed any major problems. Coincidentally, while not related to the incident a new skid had been ordered and will be held in case of need on the future.

The Flarm, Instrument and Oudie installations have progressed although the Puchacz installation is still to be done. It was suggested that Pete Smith commissions Andy Brind to do this as there are still some funds remaining from the grant award.

Airfield

Colin reported that he and Steve had been invited to a meeting by Ringo as the rent has not increased since 2007. They provided an honest assessment of the club’s present circumstances and discussed various options to optimise/recover Ringo’s position, none of which involved any significant increase in the rent. These included reducing the size of the airfield without compromising the quality of launches or safety. Issues regarding tree and hedge maintenance, airfield surface and margins were also discussed. Further developments are awaited.

Safety

Following the recent incident, the Immediate Actions Guide has been updated. The airfield frequency is now included for use by the Air Ambulance.

It was agreed that warning notices are needed at both bridleway entrances. Pete Smith is looking into this but it was said that these need to be more substantial than “estate agent” type signs. Also an “A” frame board is needed to be placed by the winch. (Action:PS/PM)

Mileage Rates

Steve advised that although we cannot claim gift aid on donations relating to membership costs it is possible anyone who claims mileage to then donate the funds or part thereof back to the club and gift aid can be claimed on this. Steve was asked to review the level of the financial benefit of this to the club. (Action:SB)

Grant Money

There is around £400 remaining and as previously noted it was agreed that Andy Brind be commissioned to undertake the instrument installation in the Puchacz.

It is intended to look at a further grant application next year.

Proposal from Paul Bryant relating to Launch Equipment

This had been considered in advance of the meeting and in view of experiences at other clubs and safety concerns this is not being proceeded with at the present time. Thanks were expressed to Paul for putting this forward and for the work he had undertaken.

Membership

Colin advised that he felt we need to aim for 5 new members next year and perhaps a targeted approach, such as Newbury carnival needs to be considered. This event did produce one new member. We have spent more on publicity this year and as a result voucher sales have been up.

Over the last year we have 6 new /returning members who needed to be formally approved. Jim McCormick; Alan Holden; Martin Hoskins; Darren McKillop; Evelyn Wadeford and James Holland.

These were proposed by Steve Barber, seconded by Phil Morgan and accepted.

Dates for Annual Dinner and AGM

These were agreed as the 13th January 2012 and 17th February 2012 respectively. Colin will contact The Plough for the former and Nigel will book the hall for the latter.

Any Other Business

Jim McCormick has volunteered to help look after the airfield.

Steve Ottner will continue to look after the publicity role.

Thanks were expressed to all who had assisted with the Trial Lesson Evenings.

The preparation of training related to aircraft “DIs” is in hand. Jim Clark is going to speak to Andy Brind to progress this. (Action:JC)

Next Meeting

To be 9th February 2012, venue to be advised.